Sunday, March 1, 2009

I regret that I loved Bangalore

I truly regret to have faced such a situation in Bangalore; which has been my home for the past 8 long years. I know the roads of Bangalore more than what I know of Kolkata; my native. To encounter such an incident in BTM Layout(the so called POSH RESIDENTIAL AREA) where we have been staying for the past 4 years; left me dumbfounded.
On Sunday March 1st 2009, I had been to St. John's Hospital in the morning. I WAS NOT WELL. I am stressing on it as to remind that I wasnt drunk nor had been to pub etc; so hopefully no controversies on that. I was with my HUSBAND. The hospital OPD was unfortunately closed so we were returning home.
We returned to BTM.My husband had to withdraw cash so as he was waiting in the queue, I was waiting in the roadside parking lot in my kinetic flyte. Suddenly a Tata Innova which was standing beside me started backing without any honk nor any warning signal that it was backing. Before I could react the car was on me. I could not move as I was on my bike. It kept on coming back as he was talking over phone and couldnt hear me asking him to stop. At last, the others on the road asked him to stop backing. By that time I was already badly hurt as my bike had fallen on my leg and I couldnt get up unless he stopped his car.
My husband came to my rescue and he told them that they should have honked or looked back before backing the car. Two rowdies or I dont know who (dressed in white shirt and white pant with RED TIKA; typically looked like some political goons; but I have no clue who they were) came and started blasting Souvik(my hubby). I went there and they started abusing me in Telugu. Unfortunately I understand Telugu(thanks to Oxford) and I could understand what exactly were they saying. I retaliated and all of a blue moon they suddenly gave one punch to Souvik and then blows started on both of us with around 20 - 25 onlookers. To my surprise nobody out there supported us inspite of knowing that they were wrong and seeing us getting beaten. They felt hitting me a girl wasnt wrong but me protesting (when I was the person concerned who actually got affected) as a severe sin. Ultimately after receiving several blows in the middle of the street at around "10 AM IN THE MORNING"; we literally had to run away as the crowd said that it was a great mistake on our part to protest against them as they are BIG SHOTS(dont know how). So we felt wise to run for our lives as just the two of us couldnt have done much. Just to remind our residence and all our friends' place was just 2 - 3 min away from the place of this incident.
I dont want justice as I know it will not happen. I couldnt note down the car's no. It wasnt a situation where I had the liberty to do so. I just want people to know and thus create the awareness as to the state of Bangalore. I really love this place as this is where I grew up from an adolescent to an adult. But I never thought in my wildest nightmares that such a thing could ever happen in such a situation.

6 comments:

B1ju said...

Hi,

I felt very sorry for you both for such a incident that happened with you guys.

But i would like to suggest you that you should have lodged a complaint to the Police against such people.No matter if you dont remember the car number, the police could have traced them,because normally the hospitals security maintain the track of the vehicles that enter the campus.

In the worst case, if they cannot be traced, your complaint may bring such an incident to the notice of the police.

Swadhina said...

It wasnt in the campus. It was in BTM Layout near my house. May be you are right but everybody suggested to stay away from it. Felt v helpless.

Balanarayan NT said...

Hi there.. do you mind if I add this post to a post I am made on women being attacked in Blore? http://tinyurl.com/b4vqwq I will link-back...

plasmadog said...

hi,

my heart goes out to you n your hubby on this terrible terrible ordeal.

i suggest you get in touch with this group : www.baware.in

they are a group called fearless karnataka / nirbhaya karnataka. please.. it would really help

thanks

Rajeswari said...

Swadhina,

I am shocked and very sad to hear such a thing happened to you and Souvik.
Please be extra cautious now and if you ever feel unsafe lodge a complaint with the police.

Unknown said...

hey...
dats a v sad news.....
dont knw wat to say....
bt ders nuthin much we can do bt bein helpless....

tc